Friday, April 27, 2007

Olave Vismaya.............

Just a while ago we (well, technically just me :-) ) were talking about how romantic relationships or as Rithish pointed out, relationships in general were based on a need. I thought we should talk more about the most major (and perhaps the most overrated) need "LOVE". Thousands of people have tried to describe it million others have felt it. Everyone knows about it but nobody really knows.... Love will always remain an enigma for everybody. Everybody understands it and interprets it in his/her own way. From the guy who thinks PDA is 'gross and inappropriate' to the happy couple snuggling on a park bench, love has it's own charm based on their beliefs.

People also (unsuccessfully) try to 'categorize' love. Puppy love, true love, mother's love, sibling love and even love for the Almighty. But is it fair? I don't know.......... (I know.. Most of my sentences are extremely 'diplomatic'.. But I would rather be agnostic than a believer/non-believer.. There's gray between black and white you know ;-) )

I believe Love is an emotion..... A very strong one at that. It makes people do all kind of stupid, silly, brave things..... But, like all emotions, I do believe it can be controlled. Just like with anger..... If you avoid confrontation, it only bottles up... And grows into something unmanageable until it explodes.... Feels familiar doesn't it? I mean how many of us have done this (both in Anger as well as in Love!)

"Whenever you get angry, take a deep breath and count to 10 slowly" yeah this works for Anger Management just fine... But can you control Love? Well, I surely think it is possible. But unfortunately, since I have had no practical experience I cannot tell for sure. Any yogi's out there to confirm this? ;-)

I was under the illusion that I was in Love (there! I've said it!) but I do not know what that feeling is... Perhaps wishful thinking... Or Infatuation... Or whatever you call it.... But the feeling is exactly like Hobbes describes in the classic Calvin and Hobbes strip....

"When the object of your affection walks by, First, your heart falls into your stomach and splashes your innards. All the moisture makes you sweat profusely. This condensation shorts the circuits to your brain, and you get all woozy. When your brain burns out altogether your mouth disengages and you babble like a cretin until she leaves."

Yes, I have felt the exact same thing....... on more than one occasion....... for more than one girl.......... Is this Love?? I have no clue whatsoever ;)

But I sure hope it isn't :P

Or like Calvin says... It might be the cooties :-)

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Rithish said...

I understand the feeling... Something like http://rithish.blogspot.com/2003/11/love-story.html , or is it something like http://rithish.blogspot.com/2003/08/my-last-crush.html ? ;o)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Harishhh said...

Not quite but very close..... :-)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Rithish said...

Which one? The former or the latter?

8:11 PM  
Blogger Harishhh said...

ooh more like the one with the dog in it ;-)

8:14 PM  
Blogger Rithish said...

ahh!!! that's the most enviable state to be in... that you love one-and-all.. ;o)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Rajani Ramesh said...

Harish its a topic to be debated
it all depends on the situation .. . One thing i fell is not to hurt the other loved once for ur one love...but still not give up ur love ...
for me love in unconditional just giving nothing expecting back...
http://rajanigangal.blogspot.com/2007/04/celebrating-one-year-anniversary.html

8:21 PM  
Blogger Harishhh said...

To each his/her own I guess :-)

*sigh* unconditional love is a romantic dream....I recommend you read "What is Man" by Mark Twain... I am neither asking you to agree nor disagree but it makes for a different perspective on things... (A perspective, to be honest more closer to my beliefs)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Rajani Ramesh said...

as i told before only its a topic to be debated.. yeah for sure i want to read that book ...i also recommend
reading "Men r from mars and women r from venus " it will be easy to understand how a girl and a guy is programmed

8:46 PM  
Blogger Harishhh said...

He he! thanks Rajani and welcome to my blog :D.. Keep visiting!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Rithish said...

I understand what you say Rajani... In a way... But, love is not about give-and-take. True Love is a feeling. That can only be felt by loving someone. It does not matter if there is a reciprocation or not. This is idealistic; not realistic. How many people have you seen say "I love you. But I don't care whether you love me or not.." The person who says that would be straight-away be admitted... ;o)

9:05 PM  
Blogger Ratheesh said...

Who ever wants it... I LOVE YOU... And I don't care if you love me or not... ;o)

10:08 PM  
Blogger Rithish said...

@Ratheesh : adeno Kannadadalli gaade ideyalla??? 'ati aase gati kedu' ... ;o)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jatin said...

maga wat has happened to u...

9:58 AM  
Blogger Harishhh said...

@jatin: You wouldn't believe me if I told you :P

12:20 PM  
Blogger complexvanilla said...

Diplomatic and you?? Politically correct maybe? Dunno about that either!!!
Love is certainly something that is more misunderstood than understood. I would put it like this: Imagine trying to describe the taste of chocolate to someone who has never eaten it. Your exchange might be like this:
Friend: Is it sweet?
You: Yeah.
Friend: Like sugar?
You: No...
Friend: Like jaggery?
You: Noooooo...............

So, how do you convey the taste? He will have to eat a chocolate to know what it tastes like. And the right answer to the question as to how chocolate tastes, is this: It tastes like chocolate. Period.
You can never convey to someone else, convincingly as to what love or your perception of it does to you. Calvin's description comes close, but then, all his observations are brilliant!!!!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Harishhh said...

@prash
Hmm.. I was wondering y u hadn't said anything yet...
Brilliantly put man! loved it! :D

7:25 PM  
Blogger Rithish said...

@complexvanilla:
Your 'chocolate' exchange might also be like this:
Friend: Is it sweet?
You: Yeah.
Friend: Like sugar?
You: No...
Friend: Like jaggery?
You: Noooooo...............
Friend: Then what's it like??
You: It's like a mix of a spoonful of sugar, a dab of this, and a dip of that...

Something that's sure to make your heart fall into your stomach and splash your innards.... ;o)

I agree that feelings or perceptions about love cannot be conveyed that easily.

However, you can't get love, as easily as you buy chocolate from a shop. So the lesser privileged amongst us have to rely on the descriptions of the privileged few who have felt it... :o)

4:10 PM  
Blogger complexvanilla said...

@rithish

Actually, finding love is a lot like buying chocolate from a store, the only hitch being that you are in a region far removed from 'civilization' as we know it, and all the store keepers in that region are tribal people who have never seen or heard of chocolate. So, once again, your conversation will go like this:

You: Would you have any chocolate?
TSK(Tribal store keeper): What is this 'chocolate'?
You: Well, it tastes heavenly and it is sweet.
TSK: Like Sugar?
You: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You just have to keep trying your luck and hope that one of the TSKs would have come across chocolate and has stocked up on them too! This is what finding love is all about. If you don't find it the first time, you have to keep on looking for it, till you find it!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home