A Tribute to my heroes -- Part 2
A.K.A
Girish Sir
I have never attended a class of his. But I wish I had. It would have been fun... I can imagine it now.... Lots of debates and lots of table-pounding... Hours of reflection and contemplation!! Yes, it would have been fun.
Meet Girish Sir. He is in one word an inspiration....... In several words, he is..... umm.... read on :-)
I had heard about him from juniors.. They said he was brilliant. That he had many years of experience in the industry, that he had worked for Sun and HP. That his classes were a joy to attend. That he was probably the best lecturer they could ask for. I was happy for them. They hadn't seen MVK, so I could assume Girish Sir was in 2nd place. (MVK still is the best.... There is no doubt about that, and since, I haven't attended Girish Sir's classes, I really really cannot judge....). I still remember the first time we met. There was a campus interview going on and he was waiting outside the GD chamber, eagerly awaiting results of his beloved students. We, well we were just jealous seniors (We hadn't had a campus interview you see) hanging out to see how many would be lucky enough to get in..... I think Jatin was the one who had dragged me there.. Then the boys started chatting to Girish Sir.... I noticed a genuine tone in his voice. He really believed in what he was doing. He knew he was making a difference. I really liked his attitude and easy-going, puts-you-at-ease demeanour. So, I took the liberty of being a smart ass like I always do around people I like ;-) But he took no offence. I knew he wouldn't! That short conversation ended up with a real heated discussion (Of what I don't know... Most of my discussions are heated.... Maybe it's just the fall out from my paranoia to believe anything that anyone else says.. or maybe it's just because of global warming) And I came out with respect and awe for this man.
After that, I saw he was trying to help the seniors also. Gave me and Vasu some great practical advice. Every time I talked with him, I learnt something new. We went to visit the company at the college and he was there, giving moral and technical support to the bunch of eager young fresh engineers. I could see he enjoyed it.
So, why is he my hero you ask? Well for starters, I really love the way he judges (not judges judges silly! the personality match judges) people. Always observing, always listening... And one day he will come out with something about you that will surprise (or even shock) you! Man! It's hard to pretend in front of him I tell you... He knows exactly what you are thinking!! I think he had a Ph.D in psychiatry... But he doesn't admit it.
Reason number two would be because of his insatiability. He is not satisfied with what he has already achieved and I doubt if he ever will be. Who else will come from the industry into the teaching profession just for kicks? Who else will say, I've had enough of this and go to study further (to Canada and take their wife and kid too)?
And the third reason is because he is a great mentor. Who else will still tell us not to lose hope in the face of adversity? And who else will dare to call their own lectures, tortures?? :-)
I for one know that his students (including me) go to him for all sorts of advice.... From problems in academics to problems in career management to problems in your romance.... He can solve them all....But only, he doesn't! He will point you in the right direction with a subtle hint. He will tell you a story ("I had a friend who was in the exact same position."
or "I used to think just like you.") which if you listen correctly will show you the door. He doesn't force his views on you. He just puts them on the table and asks what you think.... Something that I never will be able to do I think!!
I can't believe this is all I have to write about him. Well, technically there is a lot more I could write but words in all the world's languages aren't enough! So let me just say that I am inspired, awed, lucky and happy that he is an integral part of my existance!!
Keep rocking Sir!!
PS: Girish Sir (in case you are reading this) , If this doesn't make you feel old, I don't know what will :p
<< (Just in case you missed it :-) )
Labels: experiences, feelings, heroes, tributes
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home